In case of dc series motors, up to the point of magnetic saturation, torque developed is proportional to the square of the armature current. Therefore, dc series motor requires comparatively less increased power input with the increase in load torque. Thus the series motors are capable of withstanding excessive loads.
What are the advantages of DC series motor?
Advantages of DC Series Motor
- Dc series motor have good accelerating torque.
- Dc series motor have a relatively huge starting torques.
- Dc series motor delivers high torque during an overload.
- The dc series motor draws less current and power from the source compared to a shunt or compound motor.
Why is series motor mostly preferred for automobile applications?
High starting torque capability of the DC Series motor makes it a suitable option for traction application. It was the most widely used motor for traction application in the early 1900s. The advantages of this motor are easy speed control and it can also withstand a sudden increase in load.
Which motor is most suitable for electric traction?
The synchronous motor has been used in electric traction – the most well-known application being by the French in their TGV Atlantique train. This used a 25 kV AC supply, rectified to DC and then inverted back to AC for supply to the motor.
What are the disadvantages of DC motor?
Disadvantages of DC motors
- High initial cost.
- Increased operation and maintenance cost due to the presence of commutator and brush gear.
- Cannot operate in explosive and hazard conditions due to sparking occur at brush (risk in commutation failure)
20 окт. 2017 г.
What are the disadvantages of DC?
Disadvantages of DC Transmission:
- Due to commutation problem, electric power can’t be produced at High (DC) Voltage.
- In High Voltage transmission, we cant step-up the level of DC Voltage (As Transformer won’t work on DC).
- There is a limitation of DC switches and circuit breakers (and they are costly too).
Which is better AC or DC motor?
AC motors are generally considered to be more powerful than DC motors because they can generate higher torque by using a more powerful current. However, DC motors are typically more efficient and make better use of their input energy.
Which is better AC or DC?
1. DC power is significantly more energy efficient than AC power. DC motors and appliances have higher efficiency and power to size characteristics. … The greater efficiency resulting from recent developments in DC converter technology allows improvements in electricity delivery over long distances.
Does Tesla use AC or DC motors?
Tesla Moters use AC ( Alternate Current) Motors and they take convert DC ( Direct current ) from battery to use AC Moters by Inverter.
Which DC motor is used in tramways?
DC Traction System
Mostly DC series motors are used in this system. For trolley buses and tramways, DC compound motors are used where regenerative braking is required. The various operating voltages of DC traction system include 600V, 750 V, 1500V and 3000V.
Which motor is used for traction work?
The motors used are induction or asynchronous motors designed to have characteristics suitable for traction. The speed and torque of the motor are controlled by varying the frequency, voltage and current applied to the stator coils. Motors for a typical locomotive would be in the range 400 to 600 kW.
What type of DC motor is used in traction?
Traditionally, these were series-wound brushed DC motors, usually running on approximately 600 volts. The availability of high-powered semiconductors (thyristors and the IGBT) has now made practical the use of much simpler, higher-reliability AC induction motors known as asynchronous traction motors.
What are the applications of DC motor?
Applications. DC motors are suitable for many applications – including conveyors, turntables and others for which adjustable speed and constant or low-speed torque are required. They also work well in dynamic braking and reversing applications, which are common in many industrial machines.
What are the parts of DC motor?
These components are: a stator, a rotor, a yoke, poles, armature windings, field windings, commutator, and brushes.
What happens if you run a DC motor on AC power?
When A.C. supply is given to a D.C. motor: 1)In case of Series connection of armature winding and field winding , it may run. 2)But, In case of parallel connection , it won’t rotate at all and will start humming and will create vibrations, as a torque produced by positive and negative cycle will cancel out each other.